Full GHG inventory and baseline followed by development of an ambitious Science Based Target.
Countryside Properties is one of the UK’s leading mixed-tenure housebuilders and an early adopter of Modern Methods of Construction (MMC). They operate through 17 regional businesses and 3 timber frame factories across the UK.
- To support Countryside Properties in developing and setting a Science Based Target.
- Verco compiled a full inventory of Countryside’s baseline GHG emissions including all relevant Scope 3 categories. Scope 3 emissions for Countryside made up >98% of the total footprint, dominated by the emissions arising from occupant energy usage during the lifetime of the homes, followed by the embodied carbon of the materials used to construct the housing.
- We held workshops with key stakeholders to identify and quantify emissions reductions opportunities across the value chain.
- These opportunities then fed into the modelled emissions trajectory out to 2030, taking into account planned business growth, and compared to the SBTI’s requirements for a 2030 target.
- An approved and ambitious Science Based Target in line with the 1.5DC scenario to reduce Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions by 42%, and Scope 3 emissions by 52% per square meter of housing completed by 2030, from a 2020 baseline.
- This is one of the most ambitious Scope 3 targets among Countryside’s peers and sets them up in a strong position on the pathway to net zero.